Why you might want a Mac!

When I wrote my last post on this topic, I thought I was writing something fairly niche, but it turned out to be one of my more read and commented on posts. So much for all my efforts to write enriching spiritual content huh! However, seeing as the interface between tech and ministry interests me, I am quite happy to keep putting some blogs out about it.

I commented on the financial aspect of things last time. Part of what I want to do, is say that if you can't afford a Mac or at least affording a Mac is justifiably pretty low down your priority list, that's probably OK for what you want to do.

As you can probably tell, I'm generally a tech on the cheap kind of guy. However, it's worth addressing some reasons people want Macs, which may be more or less justifiable depending on your circumstances.

The Hardware/Software Trade-Off


Before I do that, it's worth noting something significant in the difference between getting a Mac or a Windows PC (or for that matter something using Linux, ChromeOS or Android). The key thing is that Apple control the software and the hardware, whereas Microsoft (and the other options) control the software, but loads of companies make the hardware (so I'm writing this on a Lenovo laptop, but it could have been a Sony or a Dell etc.). The latter approach tends to allows for cheaper hardware. The former approach gives a control that makes sure the hardware and software are much more likely to work together seamlessly.

This links to a bunch of reasons that incline people to like Macs.

It Just Works!

A lot of people don't want to spend time messing around with their computer. That's understandable. Probably most of the people who read this blog are pastors or church workers. It's not you job to spend hours on tech (even if the current pandemic has probably put more weight on you tech-wise!). A financial investment into a computer and associated tech that just works without lots of hassle can seem a good move.

I think it's true that Apple have, by-and-large, created that kind of experience. And when their products do let you down, they have more in the way of tailored support (the Apple shops etc.). That said, every set up when pushed to its limits has issues and I've certainly had problems with Macs. But what you have with Apple is clearly defined limits.

As an aside, it's worth noting something here. Sometimes we can get the idea that Mac-users are the real tech nerds. Actually, my experience is that most real tech nerds don't value the "it just works" experience very highly. What they see is something that "just works" because you have to do just what Apple want you to do. That's why it just works. They want to push the limits more.

So how do Macs compare to the alternative here?

My experience with Windows suggest more problems, more often, especially if you're working with cheaper machines. It is more often the case that it doesn't just work! In fact, Windows updates are renowned for taking a working system and breaking it! There are two balances to put in place here. First, you are not really comparing like with like (someone made that comment about the last post, which is fair). If I bought comparable price machines - Windows or Mac - and especially if I bought a Microsoft machine then I'd be much more likely to get a similar experience.

Second, while problems may be more common, there is much, much more internet help out there. A quick web search is likely to help you find the solution in a way that is often harder if you do have a problem with a Mac.

What about Linux systems? I think this is a little tricky to answer. Setting Linux up to start with is undoubtedly a bit trickier, although there is loads of help out there. My personal experience is that, once set up, if you work within a relatively narrow range of things: Email, Web, Documents etc. then stuff does just work. In fact, reliability and stability on Linux machines tends to be very high. However, start pushing the boundaries a little bit and you might have problems that take a little more time to sort than you'd like, e.g. I've occasionally had small problems plugging into projectors with a laptop and because you're not using Microsoft software compatibility issues can show up.

So it's a kind of cost/time trade-off and quite where you fall on that trade-off depends on what you want to do and how willing you are to tinker. While I can understand the desire for "it just works," the reality is that most people can't afford or don't want to prioritize paying for a Mac (according to the stats). I suspect that will be the case for most pastors and Christian workers. I want to suggest that's OK. Yes you may need the confidence and time to do a bit of extra computer work - although a good setup can minimize that. However, the financial benefits are too significant for most of us to ignore.

But there are more reasons to consider a Mac, of which more next time.

Comments

Popular Posts